BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Friday, June 21, 2013

Who is Your Picture For???

This rose presented herself one morning - just standing alone and peaceful on the vine.
When I am out and about with my camera - engaging in photography you might say - WHY do I go out and whom are the viewers of my photos - where do they fit into the picture of my photography??  That's an interesting question and has recently presented dialogue from several different perspectives!!  When I think about BE STILL and SEE Photography - contemplative photography - I think about seeing the gifts in my world.  Although I do often post pictures on Facebook and on this blog, my real reason for taking the pictures is for my peace, stillness and enjoyment.  It is rather mindful for ME!  If others enjoy them, lovely but not primary.  Another photo buddy recently posted on Facebook about using Light to take pictures.  My comment - it was rather technical - and I will admit often an issue for me.  I think that the technical takes away from 'seeing from the heart'.    That brought another photo buddy to say how she loves the technical - actually there were two of them!!  I came back and said that if we get into the technical, then we are not into the BE STILL mode. 
   Then she said, "Learning the technical stuff creates BETTER picures!"  My rebuttal - who/what defines better or well done?  Her response - "the viewer will have a deeper experience looking at a 'well done' image.  Again - how would you define well done?  And my other question - who is the picture well done for???  Then I would have to ask - would every viewer define a more technically precise picture as more 'well done'?  OK - I could beat this horse for a long time but what I have to learn from it all is that each of us has his/her own perspective and philosophy.  We have to learn to listen and respect one another - and neither person is right!!  Lesson learned with wisdom and maturity.  I ended the dialogue because in my mind's eye - there couldn't be a concensus.  Maybe an understanding...maybe...
    In our BE STILL discussions, I strive to share that what matters in being mindful or contemplative - to me at least -and it is the ability to NOT have a preconceived notion of what I am going to shoot or HOW I am going to set the camera up to take the 'perfect picture'.
      Another friend calls this picture a 'belly up' photo.  He gets down on the ground and views from below.  My Canon camera with the flip screen allows my non-working knees to see the same thing in a different way.  There are so many angles to enjoy and a picture like this allows me to see what I might not have been able to do otherwise!! 
Still thinking about the 'how to use light' article.  My last comment about that - IF we are still and see, then my best friend Little Light just comes out to play and we use her natural light to expand our perception of the beauties of nature - and again the flip screen is a valuable ally!! 
It's gratifying to be able to share my thoughts and would love to have a dialogue with some of you about what you might think is 'the perfect' picture.  Talk to me and Thanks.  martiemol@aol.com

No comments: