BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Transitions on Life's Journey


Strong roots - calming waters - and a place to BE STILL all come together to make life's transitions flow as they are meant to.  Sounds rather pensive huh?  I suppose I am in that space now, thinking about life and all that is happening within me and around me.  As the years have progressed, my formative years have brought about lots of personal searching and reflection.  I have been a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother ,a friend, an early childhood educator, a team member, a group member and now a 'retired' woman, discovering more about personal identity that is not measured in roles but in relationships.  Let's not forget that the new role of grandmother is soon to come!! 
     All through the years, the relationships have been with others, often at the risk of not paying attention to self.  Now that has changed - self knowledge and self acceptance is a grand piece of who I am...who I choose to be and it is good!!
   Yesterday, I decided to be still in a different way and in the middle of the afternoon, I laid down on the couch to rest and read a novel.  I looked over at the other couch and there was my husband taking an afternoon nap.  I had to chuckle to myself as this thought came into my head.....RETIRED LIFE IS LIKE A LONG AND WONDERFUL VACATION!   I never had that thought come so clearly into my head before.  It gave me pause and made me realize the truth to what I was hearing!!  The thought still brings me lightness and joy - though I do have to admit that all of this self motivation can be challenging at times!!
  

As I was considering what to write today, I looked through the album of my photographic self - the history of who I am and where I have been.  This picture again made me chuckle.  I like that word - chuckle - it's a gentle laughter and a lightness of spirit!  Here I was 7 1/2 years ago, taking a creative photography class with friend Bob and he challengd us to do a self portrait.  I looked at my earring collection and figured they expressed so much of me - so I sat on my bed, put on the earrings and took pictures!!  Funny thing - I just took pictures of some of my earrings I have 'outgrown' and plan to sell on Ebay - many of these are in this collage and on the way out.  I have changed - in so many ways, I have become simpler and more peaceful and that is totally wonderful.  Being on "vacation" causes a girl to stop and think about what matters in life - and I am back to the relationships again.  Stuff can come and go, but people and connections are truly what make us who we are and create our history. 
   So is this blog entry about photography?  Everything for me is about photography and seeing - I have been on a journey of self discovery  and as I look back at all kinds of pictures I have taken, I have seen a difference in content, composition and style.  My pictures are often more reflective and STILL - well there you go!!  Photography for me has been and continues to be and my camera is my friend.
   Every day I have gratitude for the gifts in my life and all of the warmth, beauty and love that surrounds me.   Wonder what today will bring??
  

No comments: