BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Sunday, June 16, 2013

What I See and What I Share with GLEE!!

 We are all unique individuals and when we go out and about in the world, what we see is totally our own visions.  I have been challenged to think about my philosophy of photography and how I see and share the world.  What better place to do it...for now...than in this blog!!  First of all, I will have to say that my camera is a best friend in my life - a traveling companion - a lifeline - a tool to cause me to settle and see my world in my unique way!!  Simple...and not.
   The other thing I know is that I just SEE rather than saying to myself - "Oh there is a duck.  Take a picture."  When we label something, we shut out all kinds of possibilities about what we are seeing and what is in the world around it.  My photography comes more from an open heart and a child like vision and curiosity.  In future columns, I will share the infant's way of seeing and being and relate it to me.  Sounds like fun to me!!  Maybe it will resonate with you?!?
I was wandering the grounds at the Highlands the other day and my curious little girl was drawn to this open door.  There was  padlock hanging on it, so I knew there must be lots of treasures within!  Funny thing here - I took the picture of the open door and thought about pursuing it...but never did.  Instead my eye was drawn to this...
I saw color...I saw design...and I just took this picture - rather a favorite of the day.  Why did I do it?  How can I describe what I saw and what attracted me?  For now, I just have to say that I got a gleeful feeling in my heart as I looked at it!  I know - can't help you take a picture by talking about a gleeful heart but often, that is what motivates me.  I clear my head and open my heart and see anything that fascinates me and brings me joy!
   Funny story - Bill and I were talking about this later.  He too saw the open door and glanced at the window.  But in our differences - he is practical - I am whimsical, we saw and explored totally different pieces of the same world.  He saw the window but then had to open the door and see what was inside.  Once there, his practical self began to see all of the repair work that had to be done!!  Never crossed my mind!!  My guess is that is what has created our teamness for more than 40 years and why we complement one another.
      I would love to have conversations with readers about HOW you see the world and take your photographs.  What brings you joy and aliveness??  Write to me and let's 'talk'   martiemol@aol.com   Enjoy your day and open your heart and see the gifts all around you It's the precious present!!

No comments: