BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

To Touch or Not to Touch: There is No Question!!


Meet Ivy and Grandad!  When they went off to the Nebraska State Fair together, there was no doubt that they were connected.  They were sitting and waiting for their ice cream, and Heather (Ivy's Mom) just happened to look over and see the love the two of them shared!  When I talked about photos of hands for Photo Schmoozer, Heather immediately sent this one.  Wonderful!! When I think of attachment, I reflect on the PBS series, "This Emotional Life", hosted by Dan Gilbert.  There was a focus on attachment...or not.  Relationships are how very young children learn about themselves and the people in their world.  Last night, we saw strong evidence of how  only caring for a child 's physical needs and ignoring the emotional needs can cause Attachment disorders and problems throughout life.  Remember Erik Erikson?  He talked to us about the Ages of Man. The first  age was Basic Trust vs. mistrust.  When the children in the Russian orphanage just have their physical needs met, they don't learn to trust that their world is a great place and responsive to them.   They never really have success in developing relationships. This happens not only in Russia - how many children in our own country are fed and cleaned and then left in cribs, high chairs or swings.  How many of them are never really touched with loving hands, soft and gentle words or fond gazes?   Then I remembered Tiffany Field's research years ago about massage with the elderly and infants.  What really impacted me was that the elders GIVING the massage actually benefitted more than the babies receiving it. So do we have any doubt that our babies and US too, deserve the touch connections from those around us??  I 'break' for babies and take the time to make eye contact, touch with words or a gentle gesture, and then I always make sure to 'touch' their parents too by sharing and thanking them for allowing me the gift of time spent with their babies.  Now, I know the time will come when I will get a giant smile and a hug from Ivy...hey, I have never been to Nebraska...yet!!

No comments: