BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Trying Tooooooo Hard...NOT a Still Way to BE

This morning I tried toooooooooo hard and it felt awful!!  I write so much about BEING STILL - just going out with the camera...or not...and today I sat at my computer and looked out in the garden.  I KNEW I had to go and take pictures of flowers!  OMG - how against my rules!!  I had a label attached to what I was doing.  I had my brain limiting possibilities to those things we call flowers.  I was intent on taking the 'perfect' picture of the blue iris.  Geez, she didn't want to share herself with me.  To my eye, that iris looked light purple.  In the camera it was a strange blue.  Couldn't get it right...couldn't get Little Light to shine as I WISHED - and couldn't get the shot!!  Clear message yet I didn't get it...yet.  I sat and began thinking about what I needed to change in the camera to get it right!?!  There are those words...again.  Was it the ISO - did I need to do something with the fstop...and I just felt myself getting more and more agitated!  Did I need to go and buy a SLR 'big guys' camera?  WHAT?? WHAT??
    Finally I went out front and sat on the wall - settling down and just looking.  Oh take a breath and have gratitude for the quiet morning - the sun - the breezes - well maybe the wind at times - and BE STILL Martie!!  Thanks for that message.  I looked to my left and there lay the little iris.  It was there watching me and waiting for me to notice it rather than it's big blue momma~~Lovely.  An aside - these iris were given to us when we were first married.  They have been transported to each house we have lived in and are just so lovely and delicate.  There used to be white ones as well, but the purple are stronger!  Just are.

Then I turned my head to the other side and here is the gift I saw.  Talk about contemplative photography - talk about simplicity - talk about just seeing what is!! 
HAVE I LEARNED MY LESSON YET??
When the distress comes, I have to STOP and WAIT and SEE.  It's about the process and NOT the product of taking the perfect picture.  Life is everchanging - and lessons come to us all the time IF we are STILL enough and aware enough to pay attention.  Finally I was!!

No comments: