BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Drums...Drumming...Health Rhythms and NOW...

One Summer's Day many years ago, Bill and I were going to the Philadelphia Zoo to see what we could see.  Walking from the parking lot to the entrance, we had to go under the railroad bridge and what to my wondering eyes should appear but the coolest dude playing drums!  I was fascinated - it was about FUN and RHYTHM and just cool stuff.  Did I think I could do it...Absolutely NOT!  He invited me to site and give it a try - and I just had fun.  I could feel the beginnings of the Free Spirit releasing...and from that time on, drumming has been one of the focuses of my Journey.

What a surprise for my 60th birthday that same year to have a big box to open - and even more of a surprise to find a Purple Conga drum (still have it though I would sell it if someone wants it!)  I remember it all clearly because it was the same time I was taking the Creative Photography class.  This was definitely a subject for some of the pictures!
    

Never one to be impulsive and jump into things (right you are saying?!?  I am an extroverted introvert really), it took more years of contemplating drums and drumming until one day I read about Health Rhythms, created by Remo drum company, Dr. Barry Bittman and Christine Stevens.  Ever on the quest for self knowledge, healing and stress relief, I said to self, "WHY NOT?!"  Actually I talked three of my friends at the time into joining me and several years ago, the program/training came to the Princeton area.  We had a grand time.  I came home and did a few drum circles...and then quiet on that front BUT Roy Schryver, one of the participants shared about making drums...next step in the Journey.

Then came the "Baby Drums" because what better thing for an early childhood educator to do than do drumming with "Mommy and Me".  It's still in the thought pattern - might just come forth...soon.  Remember my Mom always said I was a sloooooooooooooow learner or maybe she said Late Bloomer. Either way - same thing.

Now my friends, it is time for the Journey/Adventure and Freeing of the Spirit to continue.  I saw an advertisement for a drumming Playshop with Arthur Hull - granddaddy of drum circles in NEW JERSEY in September - and now it is tomorrow!  I thought - nah - and why...and then I kept getting drawn back to the description of the event and the words so resonate for me - the words and the way Arthur says them in his DVD : Drum Circle Facilitation: Building Community Through Rhythm.  OMG...I have done it - I have signed up and tomorrow I travel to the Count Basie theater in Red Bank , NJ for a day of learning and drumming and - well you know how I always talk about synchronicities - that too!!  The day is about
   1. Unity within Community
   2. Sharing my Spirit
   3. Building Relationships
   4. Sharing my bliss and having FUN
   5. Facilitating as a Celebration of Life
I can no longer deny that drumming, Health Rhythms and all connected with it holds a special place in my heart.  Meet Arthur!!

No comments: