BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Frank's "Fenomenal" Faces!!

It was a perfect day, so friend Mary Ann and I headed north to Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton Twp, NJ for a photography exhibit and talk.  The gallery was displaying 21 photos selected from more than 100 amateur pictures submitted and Frank Digiovanni was the photographer/artist chosen to jury the works.  He was to share what he saw and how he selected the works.  Many of the artists were in the audience - probably most of the audience - and were eagerly waiting for Frank to talk about their work and how he chose it.  He did that for some of them, and then got so excited about how he experiences photography!  For him, it is a stillness with nature - so Photoschmoozer quickly identified with that part of him!!  I challenged myself to capture some of the many faces he showed us throughout the talk.  I want to share with you, as I did Frank, that there is a term - MIKSANG- for what he so loves - the write up on the website  http://miksang.com/miksang.html
says that at its most basic level miksang is concerned with uncovering the truth of pure perception.  It's about being totally honest about what we see - straight shooting.  There's even a book that has been written called The Practice of Contemplative Photography by Andy Karr and Michael Wood. Check them out and lay aside all of your wishes to know the technical aspects of your camera.  You won't be disappointed.

Here are some of the faces in the crowd listening to Frank.  My friend, Mary Ann is in the middle at the bottom - and Frank's proud mama is top row on the right!!  I even saw Richard, bottom row, second from left.  He was in our photography class this summer at Grounds for Sculpture. 
Our world gets larger and smaller all at the same time.

No comments: