BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Sunday, February 27, 2011

In the Beginning...They Are Ready!!

Yesterday, was an exciting day!  The Sussex County Parents as Teachers program was having a Fatherhood Celebration at the West Seaford Elementary School and invited me to come with all of my spectacular, fun drums!  I decided that we could do a number of sessions - 3 or maybe four (silly me!!)  We  set up the art room to accommodate 25 people.  My plan was one parent and one child.  When the first parent walked in with two children, soon followed by a mom with FOUR, well, didn't I quickly have to adjust and that we did!!  We did three groups and although each one was different as it should be with a group of unique individuals, the one constant was the drumming and the FUN!!!
My intention was to gather lots of pictures to share - photo ops for web-site and blog.  See the picture at the top of this blog??  That was it!  After that, the camera shut down and I tried the other sets of batteries I had brought - all dead!!  I think I clearly had a message that I was to focus on the families and the drumming and NOT the photo taking.  Honestly how could I do both at once. 
What I didn't realize is that the school's principal, Dr. Todd Fishburn, was in the last group and sitting right next to me with his daughter.  There were other guys in the room that I wondered about...what would they think...would they participate?!  A few stood in the background and I told them that to stay in the room, they had to join in and have fun.  THEY DID - either to be polite or...
Thanks to Anna Scovell, Program Supervisor and her outstanding staff for inviting me and for organizing such a totally amazing day!!  As I watched their interactions with one another and with the families, I could easily see why the program is such a success.  It begins with Anna's love and compassion for her staff and spreads and spreads and spreads.  Showed me how people love to be recognized, affirmed and most importantly laugh and have fun!!

No comments: