BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Timekeeper Hand Drums: Woodstock NY

In the previous post, I referred to the drum circle facilitator KR Johnson and his Timekeeper Hand Drums.  It was a treasure of an experience to sit in the back room and play the drums because there was actually a sign that said PLEASE TOUCH!!  The sad part was the young girl whom I invited to play with me and she wouldn't touch a drum!  Where has some of the curiosity and spontaneity gone in many of our young children?  I've even noticed this as I drum in public and invite children and adults to play.  They back away and say they have no rhythm!  Oh my do we have a lot of teaching to do!!  Back to the drums - the brochure tells us about the drum maker and how he became fascinated with wood turning in high school woodshop classes.  Over the next 30 years, he learned everything there was to know about the history, methods and practices of 'cooperage'.   Now he's an active percussionist and an accredited drum circle facilitator.  His style of dress is 'right out there' though his style of facilitating is much more laid back.  What a powerful combination for encouraging people to explore and discover on their own.  Bring the drums, put them out, and the people will play!!

No comments: