BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mandalal:Hope, One grain of sand at a time

                                             
The plan...meet Susan in Rosendale, NY for Drumfest 2010 and then explore Woodstock and the surrounding area AND include a sleep over!!  Best laid plans aren't always in our control.  This time that was the truth and Susan had to go to Reading, PA to be with her mom.  What's a girl to do?  The decision - since we had a hotel room and it was paid for, why not stay!?!  After a big hug with Susan to send her on her way, Drumfest 2010 was waiting for me.  Strolled through the Farmer's Market on the way inside and bought round bumpy rolls made of soft pretzels and the most smooth sheep's milk cheese to keep it company.  What can I say about Fre Atlast (http://www.eldersdrumproject.org/) and Drumfest.  It was an honor to be there with about 50 men and women to pray for the world - environment and peace  by painting with sand on the mandala, learn about the djembe, its sounds and then to play together!  There was incredible energy from the teachers and the participants.  Throughout the time, the heart beat drum was beating.  The sound was begun on Saturday and continued through the night until it was put to rest early Sunday afternoon.  Then the mandala closure ceremony.  We took a spatula and each of us pushed a row of the colored sand into the center, offering our prayers and wishes for the world.  Mine was the people would take the time to BE STILL and truly listen to one another!!  My world has expanded and I am thankful that I made the decision to go for the adventure.  It's not an easy thing (for me at least) to go into a room where I don't know anyone, but that is a short lived feeling and then all become one.  UNITY is the theme of drumming.  No doubt about it.  Everyone is a drummer and everyone has rhythm.  That is the lesson and the blessing of the drum.

No comments: