BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Photography and Storytelling: Perfect Together!!

Last month at a photo opening at the Normal Gallery in Glassboro, NJ, we attended an opening for the newest photo exhibit.  As I often do, I asked a simple question:  "How about hanging my pictures sometime?"  Ed, the gallery and frame shop owner said, "Sure Martie.  People know you!"  What had I done??  I leaped and then thought about it afterwards but hey, I like the pictures I take and they are all meaningful and insightful to me.  So I said OK!!  The die was cast and then came the decision of what to display.  Bill and I sorted through and I chose some of my very special pictures.  I love to look at them all and realize that every one of them has a story to tell and PhotoSchmoozer loves to tell stories!!  I decided to make a display card for each picture.  It became meaningful to me as I did it - and as I watched people looking at the pictures at the opening last Friday, I saw that it added meaning and perspective to what they were seeing!
  At one point, I glanced toward the door
and saw this person walking in!  It was Bev - we hadn't visited with one another for at least a few years - only a bit of email contact - but there she was and what a treat!!  I had sent emails to all kinds of people inviting them to join us and that she did!!  We took time to catch up and reconnect.  I realized that out history of friendship has extended for more than 25 years through careers, children, name changes and so much more.  She just connected with yet another one of my friends I haven't seen in years.  Why do I share this story?  For lots of reasons - first of all - as I say - look out for life's synchronicities - dare to take risks - reach out to people and don't believe they are not interested in connecting because they are 'too busy'.  Life is tenuous and needs to be lived day by day - relishing the precious present and all of the gifts we are given.
   Remember too that WE ARE ALL STORYTELLERS and have lots to share with one another - through photography, through conversations and by creating memories!!

No comments: