BE STILL...and SEE Photography

Reflecting on who I am...what is important to me...and the gifts I offer the world, I have reorganized this PhotoSchmoozer blog into separate pages for your viewing. I am about so much...people - relationships - drums and rhythms and especially photography...and I realize that although separate, they are all so INTEGRATED into the Whole of who I am!! It's a very peaceful thought and I am thankful for the intuitive gift to see the connections and the relationships. Enjoy the journey through the blog...and WELCOME.
Contemplative photography is about being totally present and seeing exactly what is before you, without filters or judgment. It is about seeing with your heart.Doesn't everyone see what is before them? Not really. You may see a candle on a table. Do you also see the shadows it creates? Or the reflections that the light casts on it? Or it's underlying shape and form?



DRUMS, Rhythms and Relationships

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Butterfly Buddies!!

Last year I went on an adventure to visit my friend Beth in Iowa.  One day we decided to travel west in the state - on our way to Omaha to meet up with our friend Heather.  We were traveling on the straight ahead highway when I saw a sign for Bridges of Madison County.  We made a detour so that I could see one of the covered bridges.  While we were walking back to the car, I found this butterfly on the ground.  It's wings seemed to continue to flicker so I gently picked it up and we put it on my leg, resting on my jeans in the bright warm sunshine.  Maybe it would come back to life.  We saw some motion - maybe a few wiggles and a bit down the road, Beth stopped the car and she put it gently by the side of the road - hopefully it might come back to life and go off to find its friends.
Now we were butterfly buddies - connected by our memory - and connected to the fact of our attempt to rescue the butterfly.
A few weeks ago, I met a new friend - Devorah Ahavah - means love you know - and we talked about working together - her poetry and my photography.  One of the poems we chose to focus on is called Butterfly Buddies - how totally appropriate.  Here are just a few snippets of the poem
                "Hi, I'm Dana.  I'm a caterpillar.
                  I want a full life - but not one of fluff and filler"
 It's about Dana's journey as a caterpillar and what happens to her on that adventure.  She talks about her friend Dan, another butterfly and how he fixed his view on the world versus how she did it (not giving away the story though!!)
Dana talks about change - METAMORPHOSIS - what happened to her and what lessons she taught/shared with Dan.   The poem ends like this
       "Butterfly Buddies - we'll float on the breeze,
         bringing beauty to the world, if you please."
That's our intention - maybe Devorah Ahavah and I are Butterfly Buddies.  We know we totally value the beauty in the world and that we bring it to others.   This week Bill and I are going to the Butterfly Exhibit at the Academy of Natural Sciences Museum in Philadelphia.  I can only imagine our adventures and what we will see!!  Be sure that I will share...and then you can read then when our book is ready!!   

No comments: